The publisher asked 16 people to brainstorm strategies lonely women could use to get men to pay attention to them.
雜志讓16個人進行頭腦風暴,總結出單身女性為吸引男性可采取的策略。
From ordering rare steaks and no gossiping to crying in a corner of the room and getting a hunting license, some of these tips sound like common sense, and some seem to be… questionable.
從“點一分熟的牛排”、“不要著說三道四”、“在房間的角落里哭”到“考個狩獵許可證”,有些建議聽起來挺正常,有的看起來則有點......不大靠譜。
Get a dog and walk it.
養條狗,遛狗。
Get lost at football games.
在看球賽的時候迷路。
Sit on a park bench and feed the pigeons.
坐在公園的椅子上喂鴿子。
On a plane, train or bus don’t sit next to a woman — sit next to a man.
坐飛機、火車或公交車時,別挨著女人——靠著男人坐吧。
Attend night school — take courses men like.
參加夜校,選男人們喜歡的課程。
Go to all reunions of your high school or college class. There may be widowers there.
參加所有高中和大學的同學會,說不定有些鰥夫在那。
Accidentally have your purse fly open, scattering its contents all over the street.
讓你的包包“不小心”敞開來,讓里面的東西都灑在大街上。
Carry a camera and ask strange, handsome men if they would mind snapping your picture.
帶著相機,問陌生的、帥氣的男生是否愿意幫你拍張照。
If you dye your hair, pick a shade and stick to it.
如果你要染發,挑準一個顏色并保持。
Wear high heels most of the time — they’re sexier.
多穿高跟鞋,會使你更性感。
Unless he happens to be shorter than you are.
接上一條:除非他恰好比你矮。
If you look good in sweaters, wear one on every third date.
如果你穿毛衣好看,每三次約會穿一次吧。
Get better-looking glasses — men still make passes at girls who wear glasses — or try contact lenses.
換一副好看點的眼鏡,男人還是會和戴眼鏡的女孩調情的,或者試試隱形眼鏡。
Change the shade of your stockings and be sure to keep the seams
straight.
經常換換絲襪顏色,確??p是對直的。
Laugh at his jokes.
聽完他的笑話后記得笑。
Men like to think they're authorities on perfume. Ask his advice on what kind you should wear.
男人喜歡自認為是香水方面的專家。問問他你該噴什么香水。
Tell him he's handsome.
告訴他,他很帥。
If he has bought you any trinket or accessory, wear it.
如果他給你買了什么小裝飾小配件,記得戴。
Show him you can have fun on a cheap date — but don't overdo it!
讓他感受到,約會不用花太多錢,你也可以很開心。但別表現得太過了。
Tell his friends nice things about him.
在他的朋友面前夸獎他。
Send his mother a birthday card.
給他媽媽送一張生日賀卡。
Ask his mother for her recipes.
向他媽媽請教她的菜譜。
Buy his sisters’ children an occasional present.
偶爾給他姐妹的孩子買些小禮物。
Don’t discuss your former boyfriends.
別和他聊你的前任。
Clip and mail him a funny cartoon that means something to both of you.
給他發一些對你倆有特殊意義的有趣漫畫。
Learn several funny stories and learn to tell them well — but make sure
you don't tell them to him more than once.
了解幾個好玩的故事然后學著去向他講述。但是要記得,不要把同一個故事講幾次。
Go on a diet if you need to.
如果需要,請注意節食。
Get that fresh-scrubbed look by scrubbing.
保持外表清新整潔。
Polish up on making introductions; learn to do them gracefully.
打磨一下你的自我介紹,學會優雅地敘述。
Stick to your moral standards.
堅持你的道德準則。
Don't whine — girls who whine stay on the vine.
別發牢騷。發牢騷的女孩無人睬。
Learn where to draw the line but do it gracefully.
知道自己的底線在哪,但是要優雅地表示出來。
Stop being a mama’s girl — don’t let him think he’ll have in-law trouble, even if you know he will.
別做一個“媽寶女”。別讓他覺得他會擁有一個麻煩的岳母,即使你知道他會。
Learn to paint. Set up easel out-side engineering school.
學一學繪畫,然后到工程學院外面支個畫架。
Wear a Band-Aid. People always ask what happened.
貼個創可貼,人們一定會問你怎么了。
Stumble when you walk into a room that he's in.
走進他在的房間時,絆一跤。
Stand in a corner and cry softly. Chances are good that he will come over to find out what's wrong.
站在角落里小聲啜泣。他沒準會走過來問你怎么回事。
Start a whispering campaign on how sought-after you are.
散布關于自己很受歡迎的“謠言”。
Walk up to him and tell him you need some advice.
走向他,向他請教一些建議。
Have your car break down at strategic place.
策略性地讓你的車在某些地方(比如他的必經之處)拋錨。
Be nice to everybody — they may have an eligible brother or son.
對每個人都友好一點,因為他們可能有個適婚的兄弟或兒子。
Don't be afraid to associate with more attractive girls; they may have some leftovers.
不要害怕與比你更有吸引力的女孩子相處,她們可能有一些被挑剩下的追求者。
If he's rich, tell him you like his money — the honesty will intrigue him!
如果他很有錢,那就告訴他你愛他的錢。你的誠實會激起他的興趣。
Point out to him that the death rate of single men is twice that of married men.
告訴他單身男性的死亡率是已婚男性的兩倍。(恐嚇他?。?/p>
Stand on a busy street corner with a lasso.
直接拿著個套索去鬧市的角落抓人吧。
Become a nurse or an air-line stewardess-they have very high marriage rates.
成為一名護士或者當一名空姐:她們有非常高的結婚率。
Don't talk about how many children you want.
別和他聊你想要幾個孩子。
Find out about the girls he hasn’t married. Don’t repeat the mistakes they made.
了解那些他沒娶的女孩,別和她們犯一樣的錯誤。
Never let him believe your career is more important to you than marriage.
永遠不要讓他覺得你的事業比婚姻更重要。
If you see a man with a flat, offer to fix it.
如果你遇到一個有房子的男人,可以表示愿意去幫他打理。
Let it be known in your office that you have a button box and will sew on bachelors’ loose buttons.
讓你辦公室的人知道你有一個針線包,可以為單身漢縫扣子。
Buy a convertible. Men like to ride in them.
買輛敞篷車。因為男人喜歡開敞篷車。
“I think the article is reflective of the social mores of the era, and I found the comparison between what was acceptable then and what is acceptable now fascinating. It also made me grateful that so much progress has been made. ”
我覺得這篇文章是那個時代社會道德的一個反映。并且,我發現比較“當時可以接受的準則”和“現在可以接受的準則”是有趣的事情。讓我同樣感激的是,我們已經有了如此大的進步。
“I think if someone is actively looking for a life-long partner just for the sake of being married, they will end up in a failed relationship whether they legally sever it or not.”
我覺得,如果有人是純粹為了結婚而積極地尋找終生伴侶,無論他們最終是否離婚,這都將會是一段失敗的關系。